Friday, September 19, 2008

Colors All Around

So I was letting Abbi play in her ball pit the other night and I notice she is holding the balls and doing "signs". Mom has been working with her for several weeks to learn her colors. I was so tired from my day with my kindergarteners that it took my brain a while to realize she was picking them up and "signing" their color. How excited was I!!! Well I called everyone! Mom kept telling me that she knew her colors but you know how Grandma's like to think their little darlings are just the smartest. She was right! So now we are working on matching the color word to the colors. We'll see how this goes. It is the "whole word" approach advocated by most of the research that I have read.

Today my kindergarten class went on a field trip to local Corn Maze. We had a blast! It is so much fun to see them get excited. My favorite student from CDC who has Down syndrome got to go with us. He did such a great job. What an improvement from last year. He participated in every activity except going thru the maze. By then he was just worn out! I was so proud of him. His mom got to come too but honestly she didn't have to really do much at all for him. It warmed my heart to see some of my "mother hens" little girls help Jordan know what to do. I really hope that I can do what is best for him this year. He has come so far and I want him to have every opportunity to show how smart he is.

On another note Abbi's transition meeting is scheduled for Oct. 6th. Be much in prayer for us if you will. You would think that b/c I am a teacher that I would not be nervous, but it is like a double edge sword when you work in the school system.

So tomorrow begins the final two weeks before the Buddy Walk. Can't wait it is the highlight of my year!

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family

Abbi & Daddy

Abbi & Daddy
Summer 2006