Friday, September 5, 2008

Final IFSP

We had Abbi's final IFSP yesterday. In a few short months we will be on the slippery slope of IEP's. Sometimes I feel as if the transition from Early Intervention to the Public School System is a very traumatic one. Families go from such a positive environment to one of uncertainity. It feels as if the wind is being sucked out of your sails for a while. It really shouldn't feel this way. There is no reason that teachers and parents can't work together to truly do what is best for a child. How do we make it happen as educators? I have asked myself this question since Abbi turned two. I still don't have an answer, but I have to believe that one is out there. As a kindergarten teacher, I am committed to making my classroom an inviting one for all types of learners. I can only hope that when my Abbi starts school she will encounter teachers who will want to make the same accomodations for her.

So during the IFSP I realized that Abbi had made 6 months or more gains in every area except speech. I keep asking myself when will she say MAMA! She says ball, bye,hi, block, and duck nearly perfect. It seems to me that she should say MAMA easily, yet she will not say it. Or atleast not say it in reference to me. Oh the little stinker can say MAMA when we are doing her oral motor therapy but when I ask her who I am she just looks at me and signs "MAMA". Well I can wait.

Now if I can only make her smile and laugh as much as Elmo does. Seriously the kid is addicted to Elmo. You should see her little face when he comes on TV. I am honestly thinking of getting an ELMO suit!! :-)))))

4 comments:

Michelle said...

The timer you use sounds neat! Yes, please send me the link so I can pass it along to her teacher.

I think you'll do great when it comes time for Abbi's IEP - especially because you also have the standpoint of being a teacher, so you know the things to ask for and suggest be implemented. Enjoy this last year in EI!

Kacey Bode said...

I hear ya! Ella is doing so good, except in speech. She too can say mama, but does not say it purposefully at me. Drives me crazy : )

Pam said...

Ethan started his speech therapy this week. He trys to imitate everything we say. It will be nice when he is able to say things more clearly.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Sarah's mom, finally I get a minute or two at the computer while Sarah is at work. Our Sarah just graduated from High School and so I've been through a few IEP's over the years. Like many of the wonderful moms who write on these blogs each and everyday, I too fretted many a night worrying about them. Looking back I can now tell you, 95% of our experience in the public schools was positive. Some of the teachers that I initially worried about the most, turned out to be the best for Sarah. One tidbit~we found speech therapy to be good, especially when someone else was paying for it, but the minute Sarah started with music therapy, her language exploded. Unfortunately, we did not discover it until much later. One of the few things I would do differently, is to forgo the private speech and put the money into music therapy.

Our Family

Our Family

Abbi & Daddy

Abbi & Daddy
Summer 2006