Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Eye Doctor

Since school starts back next week, I thought today would be a good time to get a new pair of reading glasses. Well it was an interesting visit to say the least. This very young doctor did my examination. Apparently I am older that I realize b/c he informed me that I needed bifocals!! I informed him that I did not need bifocals and would just take a pair of reading glasses. Thank you very much. He went ahead and gave me the prescription for glasses to see far away too. So now I have two prescriptions. One for near and one for far!

So during my exam I happened to mention that I took my daughter to see Dr. Carlsen for her eyes b/c she had Down syndrome. He proceeded to tell me about his experience in Alabama working with children with Downs and how happy they always were. Well after the day I had had with Abbi and her whining, I decided to let him know that DS kids are just like any other kid. I said" Well I'd like to know where my happy DS kid is b/c mine has whined all day........." This put a funny look on his face and he said something to the effect of I'm Sorry and changed the topic of conversation. A small triumph for me. I finally let one person know that DS kids are just like other kids and they aren't all happy all the time. Believe me when it's time for Sesame Street I told him my daughter is just like any other 2 year old. If you get in front of Elmo, it's melt down time........

So he helped me pick out my glasess and sent me on my way. I am sure he was glad to get me out of there....

3 comments:

Cammie Heflin said...

I just came across your blog, Abbi is darling!

The Bliss Family said...

I found your blog on Ella Grace's site. Abbi is so cute. Way to go on informing people about how our babies are not always happy like people think. They have a full range of emotions like any other children. My daughter screams bloody murder when I take away something she wants to play with but shouldn't be playing with. I just love to see the reaction of people who don't know better.
Lisa

Jessica said...

Last year I did a presentation to a group of hospital employees as part of their family-centered care training. My sitter bailed at the last minute so I had to take Caden with me, who was missing his nap and not happy about it. He played for a while on stage but then turned into a very unhappy toddler. As I tried to pick up my sobbing boy who was in the process of flinging his body backwards out of my arms, I said "So you can see that the idea that kids with DS are always happy is just myth!" The audience laughed but I could tell that we opened some minds that day, even amongst the medical community who you expect to know better. Good for you on correcting this guy and congrats on being a great advocate for Abbi!

Our Family

Our Family

Abbi & Daddy

Abbi & Daddy
Summer 2006