Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Holiday Miracle!

It seems that each year around this time Abbi gives me a new present for which to be thankful. Her first Thanksgiving she started clapping her hands. Last year around this time she began to walk. This year she gave me the best one yet!
As you may remember from my last post I was praying for her to look at me and say mama. Well yesterday I got my prayer of 2 and 1/2 years answered. When I came home yesterday she met me at the door and said "MAMA" and hasn't stopped saying it since! I only imagined in my wildest dreams what it would feel like to be called mama since she was born. There has been a new bond form between us that I can't explain. It's like she has always been my daughter but now it feels more real b/c she realizes that I'm her mom.
I have been getting her to say it as much as possible since yesterday so she won't forget!!! I just love to hear her say it! My heart soars each time she does.

More good news today from her kidney doctor. Her tests so far are okay. We don't have to go back for a few months. She even peed in the potty to give the urine sample. The doctor was impressed! So was I!!

Today I am thankful for my family's health and our jobs. It seems that so many people are losing both lately. God has been so good to us and I don't ever want to focus on what others may consider negative things such as Abbi having Down syndrome. She is healthy!! She is normal! Both of which I prayed for while carrying her. God has answered my prayers each and every day that I get to be with her is a day to be thankful! I have learned so much since she was born. I can't wait to see what else she will teach me about life!

A lady in Sam's Club came up to us last week and looked at Abbi and said "you're one of God's angels aren't you little one" . At first I wasn't sure what she meant, but the more I think about it the more I begin to realize that she just might be right about our kids with Down syndrome. Abbi is my little piece of heaven on earth! God has lent her to me to teach me about how life should be lived. Thank you Lord for my Valentine from heaven as our pastor called her since she was born on Valentine's day.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Such a wonderful miracle! I have tears in my eyes reading this and knowing how special it is to be recognized as Mama. What a thankful Thanksgiving you'll have! :-)

Jessica said...

How wonderful! I've been waiting 3 1/2 years to hear "mama" so I know how your heart must be soaring.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I cried while reading your post. I hope you all the most wonderful Thankgiving yet!!

Terri said...

Congratulations on "Mama"! I'm happy for you. As I read your post, tears came down my cheeks. She is an angel! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Love to all,
Terri

Pam said...

It is great to hear about the progress she is making. I know your heart had to be doing somersaults.

Kacey Bode said...

Yay for Mama!!

Amy B said...

What a perfect gift. I know you must be thrilled.

Our Family

Our Family

Abbi & Daddy

Abbi & Daddy
Summer 2006