Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Potty Time!!

Well I didn't want to post this until I was sure it was going to last but, Abbi started peeing in the potty on Sat. July 5th. It was amazing. I had been sitting her on the potty for a couple of weeks before bath time and she had never gone, but on Sat. night I sat her on and she peed. She was so proud of herself. You could see it on her face. So I thought well, maybe this is the beginning of a beautiful thing or I am just really lucky.

Well I believe it is the beginning of somethings amazing. We have her on a potty schedule and if she has to go when you take her she will sit on the potty and pee. If not she will refuse to sit on the potty and say no. She does the "potty" sign so she knows what it is. I am not sure when she will actually start asking to go or be ready to poo poo in the potty, but I am ready to wait for her to be ready. I have let her do this in her own time and I can wait for the other.

We are so proud of her considering she isn't even 2 1/2 yet and has Downs. We figure that is very good. My goal is to be completely trained by her third birthday. Maybe we will reach it maybe not, but I always like to set goals.

Needless to say we have been watching the Elmo Potty Time Video about once a day. She just loves Elmo and I believe she would do anything he said, so hopefully it will translate into potty training.

I leave for Boston tomorrow for the NDSC Down Syndrome Conference. I can hardly wait to get there and learn as much as I can to help Abbi and others DS kids and adults.

It may be Monday before I can post again.

Sabrina

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for your comment! That's great about the potty training - good luck; I hope it continues! That's how we started Kayla too, sitting her on before bath time :)

I don't know if you'll get this before you leave tomorrow (we leave very early AM) but maybe we'll be able to meet at some point this weekend! We're thinking of going to the children's museum on Fri early afternoon sometime, and the aquarium on Sun.

we're staying at the Westin - I could email you our cell if you get this in time!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on the potty training. Aiden has been doing both in the potty for a few months now. He was easy to start training as he HATES going poo in his diaper.

Jessica said...

Congratulations to Abbi for the potty training (I'm so jealous!) and to you on completing your studies. Big achievements! Thanks for visiting my blog and have a great time in Boston.

Pam said...

Hi Sabrina. We are potty training Ethan also. Even though he cannot say that he has to potty yet he is starting to let us know he does by holding himself and doing the dance. I am wanting him completely trained by Christmas.

Abbi is beautiful. She is growing up.

WheresMyAngels said...

My youngest with DS was potty trained by age 3, but my oldest took FOREVER. But then she also walked very late too, after the age of four. Hope your having a good weekend in Boston. We were suppose to go , but then canceled out with the prices of gas being what they are.

Our Family

Our Family

Abbi & Daddy

Abbi & Daddy
Summer 2006